a public text box is a basic information sharing utility for a shared space. in this case, it’s a twitter account associated with a specific machine in a shared space rather than a person(who could be anywhere).
we tried this on macosx and linux. windows not tested but should work fine afaik.
1) download software and libraries
Processing: http://processing.org, Control P5 Library: http://www.sojamo.de/libraries/controlP5, Fullscreen library: http://www.superduper.org/processing/fullscreen_api/, Twitter Java library, twitter4j-core-v#.jar, http://twitter4j.org
2) the code https://gist.github.com/1267563
3) where to put things, this will vary slightly with your OS, but should look about the same. if you open processing and save the same sketch and then search for that it will probably be something like /Documents/Processing/sketch_023d
So you want to create a folder processing/publictextbox and publictextbox.pde will go in there. Then create /processing/publictextbox/code and controlP5.jar, fullscreen.jar, and twitter4j-core-version#.jar files will go in there.
4) register and get twitter keys, put keys into .pde code
5) test it out yo! do yer best debugginn.
6) make some keyboard modifications. maybe if you’re going to put this in a public place you should make a keyboard that has no ESC or CTL key so people can’t get out of the app once it’s running?
7) build a box. make it look nice. think ATM, public telephone, arcade game. get crafty and creative. i believe in you!
8) maybe you will have an auto shutdown and restart that will allow the installation to run long term without crashing as much?? see video for mac version of this. on linux it will be crontab. on windows the answer is ??
subscribe to the feed and watch the strange messages role in….
could you make the same for something like a reddit/facebook/?? account?
some random notes about using old mac 10.4 machine…